One of the first to be named a 'super first tier' city was Shenzhen; a bustling city of 13 million people and China's 7th biggest city.
Along with the two Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, and the nine municipalities of Guangzhou, Zhuhai, Foshan, Huizhou, Dongguan, Zhongshan, Jiangmen and Zhaoqing, Shenzhen is in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (Greater Bay Area).
8 Facts About Shenzhen
- Access from Hong Kong includes cross-border coaches, taxis, normal and high-speed trains, and ferries. Or, you can take the MTR (subway) to Lo Wu and walk over the border passing through the Hong Kong and China immigration counters. Don't forget your visa!
- Shenzhen's GDP per capita is RMB183,000, making it one of the wealthiest cities in China.
- Shenzhen's port cargo throughput is 272 million tons, making it one of the busiest ports in the world and exports valued at US$298.2 billion in 2021.
- Shenzhen is a hub for advanced technology, modern logistics, financial services, and cultural industries.
- There are several development areas namely: the Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong Modern Service Industry Cooperation Zone, Shenzhen High-Tech Industrial Development Zone, Shenzhen Bonded Zone, Yantian Port Bonded Logistics Park, Shenzhen Export Processing Zone, and Shenzhen Qianhaiwan Free Trade Port Area.
- Shenzhen has a well-developed transport system, including railway, metro, and highways, connecting it to other cities in the Pearl River Delta. The metro has 16 lines, 369 stations and is ultra modern.
- Shenzhen is one of the busiest Chinese land passenger checkpoints, with the largest inbound/outbound passenger flow and vehicular flow in the Mainland.
- Shenzhen's strategic emerging industries include biotechnology, Internet, new energy, new materials, cultural and creative industries, new generation information technology, energy conservation and environmental protection, plus future industries on life and health, marine, aerospace and aviation, robots, wearable devices, and smart equipment.
Eight PR is a PR agency in Hong Kong specialising in technology, financial services, and legal sectors.
From media relations to content development, corporate reputation management to thought leadership programmes, and digital communications, we've got you covered. Our goal is simple: to empower your business with all things PR and help you succeed.